Friday, November 9, 2012

Question On Parakeets

 Adorable! Do birds "warm up" to humans over time or will she always be a bit stand-offish? I know some people who have birds that are very affectionate and some (like the one my sister had) are very mean! -S 

Someone asked me this question and it is a very good question!


 

I think each bird is totally different when it comes to being affectionate. From what I have read and heard- Cockatoos are VERY cuddly and affectionate, while Caiques are known to be a bit more stand-offish. But even within their own breeds birds are different.
 I have had three in my life-all parakeets. My first one was a male and he was very bitey at the beginning but mellowed out as he aged. Very affectionate toward the later years of his life.

 My second bird was a female, not very bitey and very affectionate. Zoey, my third, is still bitey and is still warming up to us. I think how they were raised, plus the human interaction are factors too in their disposition.


Some breeders will pull the chicks (within the first 5 weeks of hatching) from the mom bird and then hand feed and raise them. This can produce calmer more affectionate birds, but it has had problems too. 

Parakeets at pet stores are usually not hand raised and so essentially I bought a "wild" bird.  

And since Parakeets are flock birds the goal is for her to see Justin and I as part of her "flock". This can take some time. 
 All in all, she is pretty good. She even let me take a "family picture" lol



 Thanks for the question! 
God bless, 
~Rebecca


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend with a Quaker Parrot. I went up to his cage to see him, and he told me "Good Birdie, GoodBirdie." So cute!

    ReplyDelete