Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How I Edit my Photos

 

I use PicMonkey  for most of my photo editing.  This video is sped up. It takes me an average of 15 to 20 minutes to edit one photo depending on what needs to be done.
30-40 minutes if I add a poem or verse.


Essentially, what I do is, 
1. Add my logo (JuReam) 
2. Adjust exposure
3. Brighten and enhance eyes
4. Airbrush face, remove any blemishes, soften the look of the facial skin
5. Brighten and enhance photo subject (this case, Melissa)
6. Add a darkened edge to photo
7. Lighten shadows on subject's face
8. Adjust focus
9. Choose a lightroom or filter setting
10. Tweak little things and save :)

I always save an original, and a version of each filter or lightroom setting. 


before editing

after editing.

So.....small rant....

Alot of people think photography is nothing more than the actual taking of the photograph, but it is MUCH more than that.  

The photographer must carefully select where the photograph is taken, the gas bill to travel to the photoshoot location, how the subject stands, where the subject looks, how there body is positioned, how the lighting falls, listening to others interjecting their own ideas during the shoot,  what edits looks best, the editing time, making a cd, ordering prints, and on and on. Plus maintenance of camera and equipment, plus camera costs.

Most photographers who are freelance or trying to start their own business are severely underpaid and many make less than minimum wage. 

.....end of rant.... its just on my mind lately.  




Just remember if you ever decide to have photos done, they will last longer than anything else you may have, and they are memories in a tangible form. Investing in GOOD photos is never a mistake.  And they are worth it :)


 God bless, 
~Rebecca




Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. My son is a professional photographer, he went to college for 4 years, with his major being photography. He is working on a master's now so he can become a professor in addition to being a photographer. He is self employed so yes, it's hard. This is the 3rd year in his business. He's built up a good reputation and is building his business nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have the opportunity to attend a college for photography, but I have been an "apprentice" to a professional photographer who has taught me many things. I will probably not be pursuing photographer beyond small personal photo shoots mostly because I did not go to school. I know my work is not that great, or good even. And I know I couldn't hope to pursue photography since I did not attend college for it. Unfortunately for me photography wasn't even something I was considering until I was out of college. And since I cannot get my hands on a good camera I guess thats that.

      Blessings on your son as he pursues his master. :)

      ~Rebecca

      Delete