Thursday, August 29, 2013

An Honest Post About My Struggle With Anxiety Disorder

I prefer not to do very serious posts, but I feel compelled to write.

I was recently with some people who were getting into a heated debate and I asked them to please stop, since arguing/raised voices/yelling scares me greatly and WILL cause a panic attack. I was made fun of… Later on when I said I did not want to go to an event that had great potential for yelling and arguing I was told “oh come on-grow up” in a very annoyed tone.

People just don’t get it. Or don’t want to get it.

There are only two options, either I am lying when I say I struggle with Panic/anxiety disorder and agoraphobia or I am telling the truth. There is no other option. One must accept that I struggle with this disorder- that I CAN'T CONTROL, or I am the biggest liar they know.  

Living with panic/anxiety disorder is AWFUL. Living with the agoraphobia is almost worse. 
The agoraphobia causes me to have severe anxiety and panic attacks regarding certain places/situations. The agoraphobia makes it hard to leave my apartment, it makes it nearly impossible to go to church- it causes me to isolate myself. I only feel safe in my apartment. 
This is a miserable existence, and one I am trying to change. 

Church attendance has been the toughest. I had a very bad panic attack at our church last fall. I was literally on the floor in the kitchen area sobbing and hyperventilating- and terrified that someone would find me like that. I remember after the panic attack ended I thought to myself very calmly, "I NEVER want to come here ever again,"  
And since then I have only been to church a few times. 

Believe me, I have tried to go, with my health problems it has made it difficult. But even on the days I feel physically ok, I have been dressed and ready to go and have had a terrible panic attack as soon as I leave my home. Because panic attacks are so draining and cause me to feel incredibly sick, that usually is the final straw that breaks the camel's back. 

I cannot describe to you how many times my husband has left me to go to church, and I am sobbing because my anxiety won. I cannot tell you how many times I have felt like the worst Christian on the face of this planet because of this problem. 

So, when people think I am faking/lying it really frustrates me. 
You DON'T KNOW what I am going through. You DON'T KNOW what it feels like to have all the walls closing in on you, you DON'T KNOW what it's like to feel trapped, in danger and the intense need to escape the situation- when you are SITTING in a building. You DON'T KNOW how sick a panic attack can make me. You DON'T KNOW what it feels like to question whether something is wrong with you and if people secretly hate you. You DON'T KNOW what it's like to have people tell you that panic disorder is simply a "sin problem" and "you are just an emotional basketcase" 

I am trying to fight my anxieties, I honestly am...but it's hard. It's a battle I have to fight every single day. It's a battle that never seems to end, and severely limits my enjoyment in life. 

Every day I thank God for Justin, he has been such a constant comfort and a source of peace and safety. I know he does not look down on me when I have a panic attack, I know he tries to actively help me beat them. We have had small victories here and there, but it takes time. I want to give up and just retreat into my realm of isolation more and more. I feel like the biggest failure between my anxiety and my health problems-Things I cannot control. I am thankful Justin is there to pull me out of these dark times.


I feel compelled to write this for those out there who may also be struggling with anxiety. I know how you feel. 

hopefully my next post will not be so dreary...
with love, 
~Rebecca
Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. OH Rebecca.

    I wish I lived close enough to bring you a pot of tea, loaf of zucchini bread, (or whatever would sound good) and just visit. Though I don't have the agoraphobia, I do have some anxiety issues and was told for years that my very real physical illness "was all in my head." It's so very frustrating and you do start to wonder about your own sanity and safety all. the. time. Fortunately, my best friend was coming out of what I was going into (though hers was much more severe, like yours) and she would just come over and sit with me, chatting about whatever and bringing lovely goodies for the children and playing with them when I couldn't.

    HUGS my dear girl. And prayers too.
    God is there and He loves you very much!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love zucchini bread, and yes I wish we lived closer. Thank you for the encouragement and prayers. It is so nice when someone understands!

      Delete
  2. I just want to come and give you a big hug! You shouldn't have to let people's misunderstandings exacerbate your fears, but I know it comes with the territory. Which is why it is self-perpetuating (the agoraphobic aspect, anyway). Do you remember how old you were when you first started getting panic attacks? Do you think growing up in a large family affected your panic attacks? Do you miss living with your large family? I'm just curious to understand more. And I really would like to encourage you to find things that comfort you and just stick to them. Don't let other people put expectations on you. Your husband is a keeper (but I know you know that!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I was probably 18-ish when I had my first true panic attack. I didn't know what they were until I was 21 so I can't say definitively. I know I did absolutely start getting them consistently by 19. I don't think growing up in a large family affected my panic attacks. When the panic attacks began my family was going through a high stress time with a relative and things were very very tense every day. With things being unpredictable and crazy it could have definitely contributed being involved in such a tense situation. Do I miss living in a large family? Well, while I miss all of my adorable siblings and my parents, I do very much enjoy just being with my husband. A large family can be loud and chaotic, and I relish the quiet. So no, I don't miss the chaos of living in a large family, but I certainly do miss the individuals!

      And yes, my husband is definitely a keeper!!

      Delete
    2. Crowds make me itch, so I totally understand the "peace and quiet" aspect of staying out of them. I think that's what is great about the internet -- you can be in a crowd but have reasonable control over your exposure and subsequent reaction to it. I hate crowds so much, I almost fainted at my own wedding (right after my father gave me away -- that would have been classic, eh? All eyes on the bride and she falls to the floor in the big white dress!

      I think you are wise that you recognize your boundaries and respect yourself for them. Once you have children (of the non-furry type) everything is loud and you have to go out all sorts of places with them. Enjoy this time of you life and try to tune out people who judge you! Easier said than done, I know. :)

      Delete
  3. I think being honest is one of the best things that you can do! I'm glad that you have found a forum wherer you can share. We are so often made to feel like we have to be perfect to be good Christians, but that isn't found anywhere in the Bible. Think of David! That man struggled with depression and God still said he was a man after His own heart. Maybe because David could admit that he wasn't perfect and he needed God.

    Don't be afraid to seek help from a psychologist. It sounds scary and maybe even foreign to your beliefs, but really, they're just trained to be a sounding board. There's nothing spooky going on. Often they just repeat back to you what you said and once you hear it back, you are able to process it. Or they will ask "How do you feel about that?" and that helps you to put into words you feelings. It may help a lot to talk about the situation with your family member. You may even find that it was something else that occured at the same time but you've forgotten about-- except that your body hasn't! Once you have talked about it, it is possible that your attacks may diminish. But even if they don't, just getting it out there will help you a lot emotionally.

    Intersting note: some people believe that a thyroid or other weight problem can be triggered by a traumatic event. I know once I was really honest with myself, I was able to pinpoint when the weight started piling on and it was linked with an event and the guilt that I felt because I thought it was my fault. It didn't mean that the weight then went away, but I could then stop blaming myself for the weight gain and that was very freeing.

    ReplyDelete