Monday, December 3, 2012

Well This Stinks....

Well.... I feel just awful.

Noel is sick and I JUST got him 4 days ago.
And another betta is sick. 

And I have been sick too! 


But back to the bettas, I simply cannot fathom why the new one is ill unless he was sick when we bought him. The other one being ill has me very confused. I have been giving them both meds and no change. So I must assume the meds are simply not working. 

I did some research and am going to try the rock salt method

The weird part is Deedo, my oldest is, is still doing amazingly well and is very healthy. He has never been sick at all. (although I am getting nervous...) 

I am doubting Noel will make it through today, but Inigo still looks ok. 

We shall see what happens. I guess the worst part is I am way too fond of them.... 
Sorry for being so depressing but when it rains it pours I guess. 

As much as I love bettas they are all so different in maintaining. Some are VERY easy to keep, and others can be a nightmare.  My sister had 1 for a year and a half and Lucy never developed ich, she did die of swim bladder. My brother had a fish for 1 whole week. 
In my experience its been 50/50 with life range of these fish. In total I have dealt with 11 Bettas. We have had an average of either 1-2 years (which is normal) and then the 1 week to 6 months. 


Would I still recommend Bettas? Oh yes. Even though I have had trouble with them...Sometimes you find just the right one and it's just wonderful. :)

God bless, 
~Rebecca

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear...can you take the fish back and exchange him for another one? I have never tried to raise fish (although I did well with a guinea pig) but my sister was a HUGE fish fan and still is today. (She has some GORGEOUS Angel Fish) She too had Bettas and hers lived a super long time. I know she always had a live plant in the bowl with the fish and rarely cleaned the bowl. That silly little fish THRIVED in that environment too. Odd that you have some sick ones though...hope it all gets figured out soon and that you and your aquatic friends are feeling better soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sister has a betta that lived for a year with no complications in a little bowl in a drafty little corner. ???? Mine have larger bowls, frequent cleanings, and one had a heater. And they all died within 6 months. ?????

      Delete
  2. We have had 3 bettas and none of them lived terribly long -- maybe a year at the very most. I do think many of them are sick when you get them even if they come from a reputable pet store. It's a shame because they are beautiful and very soothing to watch. We had a goldfish who lived about 4 years and when he died a few months ago, I was finally done with fish (and we got 2 guinea pigs instead). I'm sorry for your loss, and really think the pet store should reimburse you for a fish that didn't even live a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bettas are my absolute favorites in the fishie world. We couldn't return Noel due to the fact that we couldn't find the receipt. The only pet I have had live beyond 6 years was a parakeet, followed by a rabbit who lived 5 1/2 years. :)

    ReplyDelete