Friday, January 25, 2013

No More Dryer Sheets!




If you have been reading my blog since I was originally writing at A Rather Unusual Maiden for God, you might recall that I have various skin allergies. 
I have had reactions to soaps, make-up, certain metals and so on. 
Some reactions included a fever!

After a visit to my doctor today she is 75% sure I am also allergic to fabric softeners and dryer sheets, and that it was causing the skin irritation I was dealing with. So- NO MORE using dryer sheets or fabric softeners when we do laundry! 

Justin however is not convinced that our clothes will be clean without dryer sheets.... and  "They won't smell nice or be soft!"  I am pretty sure they will be, as my mom rarely used dryer sheets for years, and our laundry was fine. Poor guy. This will take getting used to.  

Although it doesn't matter as our dryer currently is broken, at least we have a sturdy drying rack!





Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Definitely try adding some vinegar to the wash - it helps soften without allergens for most people and also helps with odors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throw a couple of *clean/new* tennis balls in the dryer with your clothes for the last 5-10 min of the cycle- they will come out just as fluffy. They sell wool balls for that too or I've heard tin foil balls work too (!!!) but I've never tried either. Won't help with the fresh scent though... :)

    Hope that's helpful,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tons of allergies and haven't been able to use fabric softeners or dryer sheets for a long time. I also can't use scented detergent so I have definitely struggled with the whole "but it doesn't smell clean!" problem from others. So I have a few suggestions!

    Reusable dryer "cloths" are great. None of the problems of the dryer sheets, and they're economical. I have these: http://www.reuseit.com/store/purecosheet-static-eliminator-reusable-dryer-sheet-p-2030.html No chemicals, and they do get rid of static.

    Also reusable, the plastic steam dryer ball: http://compare.ebay.com/like/320559130406?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar Tennis balls also work, but all of our linens are white so I prefer this. I've also heard of people putting tennis balls into a pair of socks so there's no possibility of dye transfer. Anyway, the ball works great on all items but especially towels and sheets, where you really do feel a difference.

    For the "clean clothes smell", the best I can do is a little hanging air freshener in the closet. Because it doesn't actually coat the clothes like fabric softener and dryer sheets, it doesn't bother my skin. Obviously the clothes don't smell as strong, but the closet smells good and over time the clothes take on the smell of the air freshener. Just make sure to pick something you like!

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy (Mom) maybe u can compromise : ) look on line for an alternative Maybe something that is hypoallergenic. U know me if I can make it from scratch : ) all the better Amen lumu ! Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww that stinks. :( I love using dryer sheets. How about the ones for sensitive skin? I have never had a need to try them, but they do make ones for sensitive skin. I love reading the other suggestions people have left you too...awesome ideas, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete