Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Recognize Endometriosis as a Disabling Condition- Petition




Hello readers! 
Have any of you heard of Endometriosis? It is a condition that causes the lining of the uterus to grow OUTSIDE of the uterus, and when the monthly cycle begins this lining will shed, but since it has no where to go it just stays in the body continuing to grow and causing considerable pain and discomfort to the woman with this condition. I know a few ladies with this problem and the pain they describe sounds awful. 

There is a petition to the White House for Endometriosis to be recognized as a disabling condition. I have already signed it and I encourage you all to sign it as well! 


Below is the personal testimony from a young woman who is suffering from Endometriosis. 


"I would like it if you could take a moment of your time to hear this information. March is Endometriosis Awareness Month, and I would like to help spread awareness.
I began having symptoms at age 11, had my first surgery and diagnosis at 15. I am now soon to be 25 and have had 3 more surgeries, numerous hormonal treatments, epidurals, radio-frequency nerve ablation, physical therapy, mindfulness training, acceptance and commitment therapy, and countless other treatments. I’ve tried dietary changes and exercise and everything from there to prescription narcotics.
I love school and graduated high school at age 16. I still don’t have a bachelor’s degree because of issues I’ve encountered with pain preventing me from attending school, and three years ago I had to leave school indefinitely. Some days I can’t get out of bed and either have to be helped to the bathroom or crawl. Other days I can manage to get errands done if I have medication. Every day is a struggle.
This is not ‘just cramps’ I am not imagining it. I am not exaggerating my level of pain. This is real. This disease has caused damage to my heart because of constant intractable pain, medications have damaged my stomach, I grind my teeth in my sleep when I’m in pain to the point I’ve damaged my hearing. I won’t even begin to go into the psychological damage.
Right now Endometriosis is not considered a disabling condition, and anyone who files for disability with only Endometriosis will be denied with no consideration. Even once it reaches the point of ravaging the rest of the body and destroying the mind it is still hardly looked at, and dismissed. Some women have minimal symptoms, that is not the norm. Something else I want you all to realize is that there is no cure for this.
There is no cure.
I ask that you take a few moments to sign this petition before April 4, 2014and try to help gain some recognition for women in tremendous need. To each person who signs this I thank you."    
excerpt from madaranookami.tumblr.com 

Thankyou to all my lovely readers who took the time to sign :) You are the best! 

Love, Becca
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment