Monday, March 9, 2020

In Memory of Grandma Nicolina

A few days after Grandma's passing I helped my mother in law and Aunt Jackie go through Grandma's old photo albums 

 Grandma Nicolina's dad was really into photography so we had a large amount of photos to sift through.

It took about 8 hours to full go through and scan all the pictures they wanted to use for Grandma's funeral service. I had no idea how amazing these pictures were going to be.


So this young boxer is my husband's Great Grandfather, Jack, Nicolina's father.


Grandma's parents, Germina and Jack. 
Grandma Nicolina as a toddler with her dad Jack. 
This photograph was taken in probably 1934 or 1935.

I can not begin to express how awesome it is to see photos of grandma as a tiny child. I am incredibly jealous! I would love seeing photos of my grandparents as children 

Grandma a bit older with her parents, Jack and Germina. 
I wish I could have see these photos before Grandma's passed, I would have loved talking to her about them.
I definitely can see that it's grandma in that tiny face 💓


 Staying warm in a New England winter!


Grandma in school. 




Grandma was raised Roman Catholic, so this is probably her first communion?


Grandma was 7 when her only other sibling, Jackie, was born


Grandma and Jackie
 As a young adult Grandma Nicolina went by her nickname "Lina"

 Grandma sitting on the front porch of the home she grew up in and would live in till the day she died. 


 Grandma, a friend and her sister Jackie.

Poppa and Grandma's engagement


Poppa and Grandma were married in 1956

Grandma with her children David, Jeffrey and Cheryl Ann.

Grandma and her kids dressed for a wedding. 
I am living for Uncle Dave's fashion in this photo ✌
Also my poor mother-in-law hated her hair do and I don't blame her!

 My in-laws as young love birds 😍 
How adorable is this??!

Justin's parents' wedding day


I love this photo of Grandma and Aunt Jackie 

Grandma with a bunch of the grandkids. My husband is the little guy she is holding! 

Look at my adorable husband and his sister as a little ones!  

Justin and his sister having a tea party with Grandma

I can't get over that adorable face 💓 



*************************************************************************




On Valentine's day (the day before she passed) I had my last interaction with Grandma. I said "Hi Grandma! Its Rebecca!" She asked "Justin's Rebecca?" I said yes and she said a happy "Oohh 😄" I gave her a kiss on her forehead and told her I loved her. I held her hand for a moment and she gently squeezed back.


       We had a beautiful service for Grandma. It was truly bittersweet. So many stories, so many tears. 
Our small church building was so full of people paying their last respects, that many had to stand. 

I think one of Grandma's greatest legacies she leaves behind are the memories of her unconditional love. It didn't matter that you were not related by blood to her. If you were around- you became her grand kid

I'm glad Grandma had a full life and made it to 86 regardless of her myriad of health problems. I am sad that she is gone and that future family members won't get to know Grandma.  I can't wait to tell them just how much she loved us all, and how special that was to me 💕


Love, Rebecca

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures wonderful memories !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, that last photo is so wonderful!
    I'm so glad you have such a wonderful collection of photos to help remember Grandma. Such a blessing.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete