Sunday, August 2, 2015

Percy Update! - Behavior and Training


Hello everyone! I just realized that I haven't talked about Percy much recently so here is a little update and some photos!

Percy turned 2 years old in April, and has mellowed out quite a bit this summer. During most of last year while he was going through sexual maturity Percy would often growl at us (yes bunnies growl!) He refused any petting, would kick and scratch and started spraying urine everywhere. Needless to say I was pretty heartbroken. He was a complete sweetheart as a baby and I felt afraid that maybe, just maybe he hated me.

But now that our little furball is 2 he has developed a mellow and frisky personality. He likes head rubs and pets and actually comes up to us for affection. We are able to let him roam the house for about 20 min to an hour per day and he has almost completely ceased peeing on things and doesn't spray unless he gets startled by loud noises.

We have changed a few things with our care of him, the biggest change was avoiding physically picking him up as much as possible. Some rabbits understandably get VERY scared from being picked up as they are prey animals. We did notice a change in him when we stopped trying to pick him up. We have also improved his "potty training" and he knows the word "no" with a finger snap sound means to stop.

We are able to let him out if we have company over now which is really nice. Very few people are used to indoor rabbits so its always a conversation starter. Its awesome watching even the most rambunctious people we know be calm and quite when he is out so they don't scare him.
 (That's Sarah and Collin in the photo by the way!)

Here is a photo of Percy at just 9 weeks old. I just can't get over how adorable baby rabbits are and I'm so glad I took lots of photos from those days. I'm so thankful that Justin and I were able to figure out how to improve things for Percy. Even if he stayed a mean old grumpy rabbit I would never have given him away, but I am SO RELIEVED now to have my sweet bunny back! I hope he has a long life with us!

Love, Rebecca



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment