Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Visit to the Emergency Room - Kidney Stone!


For the past few days I have been experiencing sharp pain in my lower left side of my back. I assumed it was just my herniated discs acting up again so I just did my usual regimen of pain management with heat, ice and the occasional pain medication. Yesterday morning however the pain woke me up and it was intense. Pure burning, stabbing misery all on my lower left side. We kept thinking it was my back but then as the day progressed I started to have a hard time using the bathroom and that was when it started to dawn on me that I might be dealing with a kidney stone.

With nothing working to relive the pain Justin took me to the ER. I passed out from the pain in triage, than later fell asleep in a wheel chair in the waiting room. About 2 and a half hours after we had arrived I was admitted into a room. I was hooked up to an IV and given morphine. I've never had morphine before and wow...that stuff is fast acting. I've never had an IV before either but it wasn't as scary as I expected.  I had a very nice nurse named Franklin and he was very kind and patient. He had a hard time finding the blood vessel to do the IV in, but kept cracking jokes so I wouldn't feel upset. Later on in the evening they gave me a CAT scan and found a 2mm stone in my left kidney. My tormentor has been found!!

 I'm home now with pain meds and another med to help me pass the stone. I almost had a panic attack a few times  at the hospital but Justin was there so I was able to calm myself down. I'm in a bit of pain today but its significantly less.
Please pray I pass the stone soon and for follow up with my doctor so we can prevent these stones.  I've apparently had smaller ones in the past that I thought was just my herniated discs acting up.

 I took a funny selfie at the ER so enjoy.

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. HAHA! I love that picture!! :)) I hope everything goes well with your kidney stone...like you really needed that on top of everything else you deal with. :( So sorry. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sally! I'm feeling much better so I'm hoping the stone has been passed, thankyou for your prayers! I'm glad you got a laugh out of my selfie lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh ouch! I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this on time of everything else - they're SO painful!

    Prayers for a quick recovery - but you can keep up the funny selfies. That pic is hilarious!
    :)

    Hugs,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my pic Lea! The original idea was "NEEDLE NOOOOO" lol. Although I guess you could say that my facial expression is how the stone made me feel...I'm doing much better today, thankyou so much for the prayers!

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't it be great if you back trouble was actually kidney stones and they can learn to control it? Am I overly hopeful? Sorry you are in pain and glad you had your hubby there to calm you -- no one likes a trip to the ER! You look really pretty for being under such duress! Hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know...that kidney stone REALLY hurt, my regular back pain isn't even that bad! Never hurts to be the optimist though. I'm not feeling any more pain from the kidney stone so I am hoping it passed. I think I ended up looking nice in the photo because that was after the IV, Justin said it made my face look much better and that my acne scars were barely visible. Considering I had passed out earlier and I was in pain with a fever I can imagine I looked pretty pale and drained.

    ReplyDelete