Friday, June 14, 2013

Health Update- Anxiety

Some of you might recall my post on my Anxiety and panic attacks
well we finally went to see a doctor about them last week. 
After meeting with the doctor and talking to him for awhile he came to the conclusion that I have been experiencing panic attacks caused by Anxiety Disorder and mild Agoraphobia. 

He presented me with a few options to help me deal with these problems I am facing, and gave hope that the panic attacks could definitely be lessened considerably. To me this would be wonderful!

About the Agoraphobia, what I personally am dealing with-
Agoraphobia is a condition where the sufferer becomes anxious in environments that are unfamiliar or where he or she perceives that they have little control. Triggers for this anxiety may include wide open spaces, crowds (social anxiety), or traveling (even short distances). Agoraphobia is often, but not always, compounded by a fear of social embarrassment, as the agoraphobic fears the onset of a panic attack and appearing distraught in public.
Agoraphobia is also defined as "a fear, sometimes terrifying, by those who have experienced one or more panic attacks". In these cases, the sufferer is fearful of a particular place because they have experienced a panic attack at the same location in a previous time. Fearing the onset of another panic attack, the sufferer is fearful or even avoids the location.
It is not uncommon for agoraphobics to also suffer from temporary separation anxiety disorder when certain other individuals of the household depart from the residence temporarily, such as a parent or spouse, or when the agoraphobic is left home alone. Such temporary conditions can result in an increase in anxiety or a panic attack.
  ~wiki

I do not have to deal with panic attacks from wide, open spaces- but crowds and traveling has definitely done it to me. I have had panic attacks at certain places and I to this day avoid them. Why? I am TERRIFIED I will have another panic attack/someone will see me have a panic attack.




I highly encourage you to watch this video if you would like to know more and understand what Anxiety is like.  She begins describing the symptoms at 3:33.


I greatly appreciate all your prayers as I start this journey to hopefully end or at least lessen my anxiety.
Thankyou!
~Rebecca



Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I know a few people who suffer from panic attacks and I'm sorry you do. You are quite fortunate you don't have to hold down a job and that your husband is supportive of trying to help you with finding solutions to your anxiety. Your condition must be very debilitating. Prayers sent your way that you might find a solution with medication or natural solutions. You are fortunate you don't have any pressing obligations and you have someone to take care of you! :)

    ReplyDelete