Friday, April 6, 2018

Obsessions and Weird Habits




I don't know if these are all anxiety quirks of mine but I get a tendency once in a while to obsess over various thing or form weird habits. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have a particular quirk or odd habit that puzzles them too.

I love books and having full bookshelves. We have 7 bookshelves in our home with a wide variety of genres. I can be very particular about how my books are arranged on the book shelf, as I don't like the look of books just "thrown" on a shelf. I used to arrange my books strictly by height for the longest time, this habit started when I was a child. Now I organize them by genre and height.It's actually easier to find a book now because I know where to look.



I have to stop myself from constantly acquiring new plushies and stuffed animals. I love plushies very much. I find them cute and comforting. There are a few plushies I would never part with because they were gifts that meant a lot to me. When we moved last year I did get rid of several plushies and decided "no more plushies". No joke, I ended the year with 6 brand new ones. Oops.
I did start going through them again though so as long as I can keep getting rid of some every year I should be good! My husband does tell me that I will be a future plushie hoarder if I don't be careful.



 Indoor plants bring me so much joy. I just love seeing splashes of nature in my home. I can't go crazy with plants even if I wanted to though because I live with an adorable little plant murderer that can climb. Yup, my cat has killed a few plants on me. I only have so many high spots he can not reach to use so my plants stay to a minimum. I have at least two plants in every room of our home though. 



I like mint gum. I would marry mint gum if I could. Several years ago I discovered that cough drops could help with nausea and then I discovered mint gum also helped with it so I switched to gum. I break off a tiny bit of a stick of gum just to get the minty flavor. I can make a single stick of gum last for a couple days.

Hand Lotion is my BFF. When I was a teen my hands would get so dry they would crack and bleed, and it hurt so bad. I started using lotion and the skin cracking stopped. I hate for my hands to feel dry so I constantly use lotion. Just like the gum, it's not a lot of lotion. Just a tiny bit.


Now comes the weird one. I can not stand touching certain types of papers and cardboards. I have no idea why. If I touch a certain texture of paper my hands just feel wrong. It's textures like newspaper or paper money, and cardboards like pizza boxes. I can touch book and magazine paper fine. It's like reacting to seeing a creepy bug skitter across the floor- my brain just goes "ew, gross!"


And there you have it! A small glimpse into my brain. I know most people have some tiny ritual or obsession they do that they don't know why. I figure most of mine are like a kid's security blanket. It's a little comfort thing.



Love, Rebecca




(As a side note- I'm very aware of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and how devastating it is to those who suffer from it. I'm also highly aware or the fact that Hoarding is also an anxiety/OCD behavior. I have a couple people I love very much that struggle with OCD and/or hoarding. While this post is written in a light hearted tone I fully understand how serious these disorders can be and I'm aware that if given the chance I could follow the same path if my anxiety were to go unchecked)
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca -- I am EXACTLY the same way with newspaper! I don't like the smell/touch/sound of it and I throw it away the MOMENT that husband is done with it. I HATE it. I would much prefer if he threw it away. I have asked him MANY times to just use the e-version of the paper. No such luck. :)

    I also like things just certain ways (like only certain lights on in the house or things in the refrigerator in their own spot, etc).

    we are all quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... you sound pretty normal to me! ;)

    Or maybe I'm just weird too.... :)
    Lea

    PS I have a collection of plushies and stuffed animals too - and I won't even start to go into the ones I've "bought for the children." Never mind that my mom doesn't help - she makes more! Literally. She has all of us totally spoiled with homemade items, including stuffed animals!

    ReplyDelete