Sunday, April 15, 2018

In Memory of One Grumpy Cat and Two Sweet Dogs


"Saying goodbye, Why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had...
You're in my heart
So until then...
It's time for saying goodbye."

-The Muppets


This post is going to be bittersweet to write. I'm filled with the wonderful memories of these beautiful animals, but also heart broken that they have since passed on. As painful as it is to say goodbye to our beloved pets I'm thankful that I had the privilege of loving them.

Over the past 6 months my in-law's senior pets all passed away. I wish animals never had to grow old.

 Nimbus was the first to go in November of 2017. Even though he was a grumpy old cat he was definitely spunky. He was 11 when he passed.

Nimbus had a lot of health issues as he had survived being hit by a car when he was young. You'd never know it to look at him. He was such a pretty tabby cat.


He had the loudest and most rumbly purr I've ever heard /felt from a cat! One of the last times I held him it was like trying to hold onto a jack hammer!

While he was definitely a grumpy old cat he had his own way of loving people he liked. It was always special when he meowed at me wanting to be pet. 



Two weeks after Nimbus passed 15 year old Shadow went as well. While it hurt to say goodbye we were a bit more prepared because of his advanced age. 

It was also hard because Shadow was part of the family when I met Justin. He was a staple to family events and moments. I had known and loved this pup for as long as I had known and loved Justin. Shadow was a beagle/husky mix but people always thought he was a collie.   

During his last year, even though he was deaf and going blind he was still a happy dog. His tail was always wagging.

I miss him a lot and I feel lucky to have gotten to know one of the sweetest dogs ever. I'm thankful he lived in relatively good health as long as he did. 


If you are wondering, yes the passing of Nimbus and Shadow was the biggest reason why I stopped blogging for a while. I didn't want to write about their passing because it was devastating that we lost them both within a couple weeks and right before Christmas. 



*********************************************************************


Now comes the really heart breaking one. 
Dear old Mason. 

Mason joined my in-laws' family last fall at the age of 9. He was a rescue dog that had been severely abused when he was young. He had been with  adopted by relatives of my in-laws years ago and they loved him fully. Unfortunately they were moving and could no longer care for him. So my in-laws took Mason into our family.

Mason was a Swiss Mountain Dog, He had the most adorable sad brown eyes.
How anyone could look at that lovely face and abuse him was beyond me.

Mason and I clicked right away. He felt like a kindred soul. He knew I'd give him a long back scratch when I'd visit so I often found him sitting by me waiting. I had never fallen in love with a pet that wasn't my own so quickly and so strongly like I did with Mason.  

This past Friday, Mason passed away in his sleep very unexpectedly. He had just turned 10 in February and was a healthy and happy dog. It was devastating and I'm still in shock. I had so much more love to give this good boy and now he is gone. I am so grateful I hung out with him two days prior to his passing. I gave him lots of pets and played with him. I still can't believe he is gone. 


Off to cuddle my cat and cry some more... 

~Rebecca



"In all thine hours of gladness, think on me.
If e'er I soothed thine sadness, think on me."
-Mary, Queen of Scots


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Rebecca. What a rough fall and, now, spring.

    Hugs and Prayers,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem! very touching and I feel the pain. I'm so sorry and I know no words can heal the pain right now. Been there done that after the pet cremation houston tx of our beloved Garfield. he was our family pet and everyone loves him.

    ReplyDelete