Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Question of Discernment

I received several wonderful comments on my sister's drawing (pictured above), and thank you! 

I also received a very kind and considerate question regarding the anime controversy of having bad/evil background, and is something to avoid. 
Thank you to the commenter for your concern.
I would like to comment on this, as Anime is a source of controversy among Christians. 

The word "Anime" is actually the Japanese word for "Animation."
It's their term for what we call "cartoons" 
"Anime" also refers to the stylized way that the characters are drawn, most notably the trademark large eyes.  Anime is essentially, just a way to draw things, an art form. 
It is no different from clay animation, puppetry, Computer Generated Images (CGI), watercolor, oil paintings, cubism, abstract....it is art. 


Anime is also controversial for other things which aren't so great- blood, violence, sensuality and witch craft. 
Yes, there are some anime cartoons 
where all of these undesirable traits are present. 
I might also add that are also some American cartoons 
that have all these traits as well.
("The Black Cauldron" for example- 1985 Disney cartoon,
a strong focus on demons and witchcraft)  
MANY American cartoons and movies contain the traits I mentioned.

My point is, just because a bad movie is made with CGI we don't call CGI evil. We call the movie bad. Not the medium with which it was made. 
I am getting a bit off topic, as I am not defending Anime cartoons. I'm defending the art form. 

***************************************************************

So......... is Anime evil?
 I have seen the countless forums where people argue back and forth about Anime, and frankly I am not interested in joining that fire-fight. I'm not debating who is wrong or who is right. 
There are some Anime cartoons and movies that I would say, yes... they have an evil content to the story. The story plot is evil, and there are times that the drawings themselves are inappropriate. 
There are also some Anime cartoons where the story is cute and sweet with no objectionable and no inappropriate content.


I'm no expert on Anime as I have not watched alot of it, but I wouldn't personally call Anime evil.
I do understand why some would say it is. If the only American cartoons I ever saw were only "The Black Cauldron" or anything similar, I would too question what this cartoon industry's basis is. 

If you feel that the whole realm of "Anime" is not for you and your family, there is no need to worry about it.
 We have liberty in Christ, and with that liberty comes a responsibility. 
We must look at things from a Biblical perspective and discernment.
Are there books, movies, websites, fads, social-networking, games, friends, ideas that you are just not sure about? 
Pray about them. 
If something is taking the place of Christ, or is going against what God teaches in His Word do consider its removal, for you and for your family. 


"If it's doubtful, Don't do it!"

  
God bless, 
~Rebecca


Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Well said Rebecca! Love you girl :)<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg post, Rebecca. We all need to avoid making hasty or impulsive judgements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans 14:14 (AV)
    14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

    We would be wise to realize that inanimate objects do not possess in themselves good or evil, but they can be used for both good or evil.

    ReplyDelete