Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Question from a Jewish Lady...

I recently received a wonderful comment... 

Hi - I just found your blog. I am Jewish and don't know a lot about Christianity but I found it interesting that in these pictures you are all dressed so modestly. What branch of Christianity requires you to dress in such a wonderfully modest way that is more akin to us Jews? Most Christians I've known dress very indecently. Also, what is the teaching you follow about touching in public? I'll admit I was shocked to see in your photos girls sitting on boys' laps. Even if they are married these seems immodest and I'm wondering how you rectify that with your beliefs about modesty. I'm always interested in learning more and connecting with other modest, obedient wives. 

Thankyou so much to the person who commented, I will do my best to answer your questions!



What branch of Christianity requires you to dress in such a wonderfully modest way that is more akin to us Jews? Most Christians I've known dress very indecently.


-My husband and I as well as several of the relatives are independent Baptists,  most of the rest seen in the photos attend a non-denominational church with Baptistic doctrine in an area where there is much Mennonite influence.  I personally do not know much about my husband's relatives, but I can explain why I choose to be modest.

As I stated before, I am an independent Baptist.
The church I attend is not affliated or part of any other form of denomination.
-modesty is not a rule in my church. It is however greatly encouraged that the women dress modestly.
-The standard of Modesty is the choice of each individual. 
-In my church it is required that the ladies who serve in the church be dressed modestly. (Pastor's wife, Deacons' wives etc)
My parents raised me to dress modestly, and the church I grew up in also taught and encouraged modesty.  I personally believe that modesty in dress is very important and I practice it. 
I choose to dress modesty, not just because my parents required it of me, but because I personally believe it is the best way for me to honor God.



 what is the teaching you follow about touching in public? I'll admit I was shocked to see in your photos girls sitting on boys' laps.

-Our church gives no rules for married couples regarding touching in public. Unmarried people are a different story it is taught within in our church and our own family that boys and girls should refrain from touching until they are married. 
In the photo you saw of girl's sitting on boy's lap, all are married couples.
In the photo you saw of girl's sitting on boy's lap, all are married couples. This was a family gathering , and  how each couple chooses to be with their spouse in public is their personal decision. The majority of the married couples in my husbands family practiced a "no-touching" rule until they were married, after marriage there were no more "no touching" rules. 

There is of course a realm of touch that belongs to the married couple, but in our (local/family) culture just sitting in this manner does not carry any immodest connotations with it.




Even if they are married these seems immodest and I'm wondering how you rectify that with your beliefs about modesty.

I am not familiar with the Jewish cultures teachings of modesty, but I assume you are talking about behavioral modesty?  We are taught two forms of modesty, with clothing, and with behavior.

Sitting on my husband's lap is not something I ever even thought of as being questionable. Before we were married I would have NEVER sat on his lap. That would have definitely been inappropriate. But now that we are married I do not see it as immodest  with family present.

 I will add that I rarely sit on my husband's lap in public and the reason I was in the photo is because we were trying to get 40 people into one room. 

So yes, it does rectify with our beliefs on modesty.



Thank you so much for your Question! I hope I answered your thoughts and inquiries, as I do not know much about Jewish culture I was not sure of what some of your questions meant. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

~Rebecca
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Neat post! I like how you explained it :) Love you sister!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting question from your Jewish reader, Rebeccaba and reflects some thoughts I've had about some of the photos on your blog. I practise a spiritual tradition also, and in our community it would not be appropriate to touch in public, or to kiss in public at our own wedding, or anywhere else, as these are considered to be intensely intimate and private things, and also can arouse lusty feelings in anyone who may see them. I wasn't born into these tradition, so I struggle with some of these things; I like to hold my husband's hand when we go for walks!

    It's an interseting topic to discuss. I'm sure in Biblical times such codes would be much stricter than they are now, and maybe we should consider how much we are being influenced by an irrelegious culture. Anyway there are so many different ways to look at it, and certainly I don't have all the answers!

    ReplyDelete