Thursday, September 10, 2015

Big News! I'm Learning How to Drive!!


You read that title right everybody, I have finally faced my fears and am starting to learn how to drive!
This is a pretty big deal for me as I have been scared to death of driving for about 10 years now.

For those who haven't heard the harrowing tale of my driving experience let me share it now: back when I was about 17 or 18 my dad decided he was going to start teaching me how to drive. I was very nervous the whole time and after two lessons my dad had me drive on a back road. Along the way there was miscommunication about how and when to use the blinker and I ended up off the side of the road  in a little grassy ditch. This had happened in a moment of panic. I remember coming home in tears and my poor mom was so confused when I declared, "I don't want to learn how to drive ever again!" 

As the years passed friends and family of mine have gotten into car accidents and it just further increased my fears. I have a heavy respect that driving a car is dangerous and you CAN end somebody's life (or your own) if you aren't careful. 

Recently I have been trying to make some positive changes in my life like losing weight, improving my photography etc. Losing weight has been very hard for me and I often feel discouraged; that's when it dawned on me that learning how to drive might be a possibility since if I was successful that would encourage me a lot. 

I have had a couple lessons so far with Justin and I feel a lot more confident this time behind the wheel. I'm still nervous but also happy that I'm actually moving forward with something in my life! We are going to take it very slow so I don't get overwhelmed and give up. 


I would appreciate your prayers as I keep learning. 

Love, Rebecca






Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. I am really happy to see you moving forward. I will continue to pray for you. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending safe driving prayers your way, sweet girl! Driving can be daunting, but it is also very liberating to have such independence and your husband will probably appreciate having another driver in the house, too. My son is learning to drive (just completed driver's ed!) and I can hardly wait until he can drive without me in the car -- toss him the keys and give him a grocery list and debit card and send that boy to the store for me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Driving can be so enjoyable. I can understand how trying new things can have a positive influence on other changes you're working toward. It's all intertwined: The more you do, the more you realize how much you're capable of. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Rebecca! That's huge! Way to punch your fear and in the face. You go girl!

    I've had a tough couple of weeks - really bad pain and lots of panic attacks. Reading this post today has been super inspiring for me. I've always hated driving and consider it a necessary icky thing in my life (I have an 18 mile one way commute to and from work every day and the bus just isn't an option). You CAN do this!

    Long distance HUGS and prayers for your driving and the other changes you are making.
    Thanks for inspiring me today!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete