Thursday, September 26, 2019

Thrift Store Repaint of a Ceramic Puppy

 I was recently inspired by a couple Youtubers ( Moriah Elisabeth and Anja)
 to try my hand at a thrift store repaint.
 I kept my eye out for some old discarded item to give new life to.


I found this ceramic puppy at a Goodwill for $3. 
It was very dirty, chipped and overall just outdated. It was perfect! 

 It took me about 3 days from start to finish. I started by giving the puppy a good wash and getting as many stains off as possible. I attempted to strip the old paint with nail polish remover. I didn't think this through though as it took quite a bit of work to get all the paint off. I ran ot of acetone and gave up.

 I let the puppy fully dry, applied a white base coat and with a pencil sketched out the fur pattern I had in mind. I have heard drawing on rounded objects is tricky and I can definitely agree with that. I had to redraw lines quite a few times. 

The dog I based the puppy on was more of a true black color. 
I decided to go with a dark grey instead. 

I looked up the photos I had of Shadow (my inspiration) and tried to match his markings. Shadow was a beagle/ husky/ and something else mix.

Justin said it looked like the puppy had played in paint. I let this little guy dry overnight again. I should mention I used acrylics for this project. 

In the morning I tackled clean up and details. Painting the eyes was tough as my hands shake slightly. It took a lot of patience. 

Final look. I used a sharpie to outline the eyes before sealing with a glossy mod podge. 

The gloss is ok but looking at it now I should've used a matte mod podge.

The left ear still has the massive chip but you can't really tell now with the paint.

This project was a lot of fun and I learned along the way. I'm really happy with how the puppy turned out especially considering the hand tremor I have. 


Before and after. 

I definitely want to try this again sometime. I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination but I found the project very relaxing. I will be keeping my eye out for another piece to do sometime!




Love Rebecca🐇




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment